Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, January 15, 2018
Akin Gym Health Room – Tennessee School for the Deaf
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Casey Field, Bill Hahnemann, Steven Horton, Joe Hultquist, Michael Jordan, Connie Vogt, Margaret Webb, Stephanie Welch-City Council member.
Unable to Attend: Angie Bataille, Cat Dziewulski, Joanna Pennoyer, John Michael Scott, Jim Staub.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:01pm.
October Minutes: Corrections were made to the October minutes. Approved (CW/CV)
Treasurers’ Report: Mary Wiginton presented the report. We have $19,700.28 in the bank. This includes dues, donations, past grant funds, 1st Neighborhood gifts and 202 funds, grants and column donations.
A copy of the budget and transactions as well as the IHPNA Entrance & Column Project was distributed. There was discussion on changes for the new budget. It was decided to remove the $450.00 for the t-shirts since this money will be recovered when we sell the shirts. If we make t-shirts again, the upfront money would be taken from the general fund.
The Outreach line item was renamed to Helping Hand to better reflect its purpose.
$40.00 from the TSD scholar/plaque was removed since we no longer give a plaque.
A motion was made and passed that we donate $200.00 to Island Home Baptist Church. They let us have our general meetings there and they donated land for the new pillars. (JH/MW)
Connie Vogt suggested we add $100.00 to give to the PTCA of South Knoxville Elementary School since they are now our neighborhood school.
We decided that any donation earmarked for a specific line item stay with that line item even if the money is not used during the calendar year. Mary will email the board a new budget for 2018. Approval for the new budget will be done via email.
Committee Lists: Nancy passed around the committee list and people signed up. Board members should serve on as least one committee.
School Rezoning: Carolyn reported the Knox County School Board passed the rezoning of Island Home Park to South Knoxville Elementary School. She thanked Celeste Carruthers and all the people who spoke at the meetings and at the school board meeting. The School Board was not aware of Island Home Park boundaries. Carolyn made them aware we have 85 potential students who could walk to school if the rezoning was approved.
Ijams Memorial Donation: A $100.00 donation was made to Ijams Nature Center in memory of the following IHP residents: Rudy Henley, Jack Gaston, Dutch Vogt, Von Neubauer, Katie Brockmeier and Luanne Dagley. We received a nice letter of appreciation from Ijams. Anyone can contribute to Ijams through the Island Home Park account.
River’s Edge Apartments
Nancy and Carolyn met with Brad Richmond, Property Manager, about the problem with the parking/lack of parking at the apartments. Residents are beginning to park vehicles in Island Home Park and leaving them on the street. According to Brad, the city was aware they did not have enough parking for the number of units built, but were granted a waiver. He also indicated the parking on the street was available to the apartments to count as their parking. River’s Edge management has leased 20 parking places from Allied Toyota. Hopefully, this will help with the parking problems.
Nancy and Carolyn also met with Tyler Danald from the State Department of Education. He will be overseeing the next big construction project at TSD which will be demolition of the cottages and the building of a new dormitory. He presented them with a map showing there will be a new construction entrance off Island Home Pike for all the trucks. Construction traffic will use Island Home Pike and not streets in Island Home Park. There will be two smaller projects: adding doors to rooms in the former Middle School and swimming pool renovations. Construction traffic for those two projects will use Spence Place and use the entrance off Spence Place.
Neighborhood streets and speeding is a constant concern/complaint of residents. Knoxville has a new Neighborhood Traffic Safety Program and Megan Martin has agreed to chair a committee for IHP. Casey Field will be the board representative on the committee. A motion was made and passed we approve this committee. (MW/CW)
Recode Knoxville: A draft of their proposals will be available this spring. Nancy will ask them to present it at our General Meeting in March.
Carson Dailey’s Litter Removal Campaign: Nancy shared an article from the Knoxville News Sentinel about Carson Dailey’s fight against litter around Knoxville. In the past, non-violent inmates in the county picked up all the litter. A recent State Law prevents this practice to continue. Carson is trying to get that law changed. A motion was made/passed to send a letter to Carson Dailey from IHP in support of his campaign. (JH/MJ)
Short Term Rentals: Short Term rentals passed in the City of Knoxville. A list of Frequently Asked Questions was distributed to board members. One of the requirements is the owner must notify the neighborhood association as well as neighbors on both sides and across the street. This will be regulated on a complaint basis. Any complaints should be reported to 311.
Fisher Place Column Project: We have raised the $19 180.77 needed for the project. A list of financial donors was distributed to the board members. We will be thanking other people who have contributed land and time when we acknowledge all the volunteers. During our membership drive we will thank those who have contributed and will be reminding those who have not contributed that it is not too late. We hope to raise $2500.00 to buy the lanterns for the top of each column.
Joe and Bill updated us on the project:
The church and Joe still need to sign the agreement for the land.
The columns will not be right beside the road because of city right of way.
Eddie Pruitt will be the mason and Buddy Mulkey the stonecutter. They should be ready to start in February – weather permitting.
The columns will have the conduit for wiring but will not be lit at this time. We will have to work with the city about providing the electricity.
The building of the columns will take about a month. This includes letting the foundations settle, cutting the stone which can be time consuming), the building and the weather.
New Business: It was reported that the pavement is breaking off the sides of Hillwood. We need a temporary fix until the redesign of Hillwood happened. Stephanie Welch will look into the problem for us.
Stephanie Welch, our new City Council member, updated us on some things happening in our area:
In May, the project to make James White Parkway as the Gateway entrance to the Urban Wilderness area should get underway. Hopefully the redesign of Hillwood will tie-in to this project. The city should have construction plans by next year.
Baker Creek Bottoms – The construction of the hostel will start soon. There is retail space in the building that will be developed.
South Haven Neighborhood Association is working with the Design Center to improve the intersection at the Round-Up to make it more bike/pedestrian friendly.
Oliver Smith is developing the former Kern Bakery site. He currently has it 80% preleased. It will have restaurants and retail. There will also be 150 housing units on the property.
South Knoxville is growing fast and we need to be vigilant and aware of what is being proposed to try to prevent big box stores from moving in. Those type of stores do not seem to fit the South Knoxville/Urban Wilderness.
Please be aware the Knoxville Police Department is only 70% filled. A new class of officers is being trained but until then the KPD is doing the best they can to answer calls and complaints.
Next Meeting: Scheduled for Monday, March 12. This is during the school’s spring break. Nancy will send out an email to see how many board members this will effect. She will let us know if the meeting will be moved to the 5th or the 19th.
Meeting adjourned 8:40pm (Wiginton/Williams)
Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, October 9, 2017
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Angie Bataille, Cat Dziewulski, Casey Field, Bill Hahnemann, John Michael Scott, Connie Vogt, Margaret Webb.
Unable to Attend: Steven Horton, Joe Hultquist, Michael Jordan, Joanna Pennoyer, Jim Staub.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:04pm.
The August minutes were not available for approval.
Mary Wiginton presented the report. We have $9777.51 in the bank but have $2050.00 in outstanding checks and $5780.00 of checks not cleared.
A copy of the budget and transactions as well as the IHPNA Entrance & Column Project was distributed.
Responsibilities of Board Members
We need to follow the by-laws. These are available to read on our website.
Help in submitting articles and distributing the newsletter.
Help keep the kiosk updated.
Attend the board meetings on the 2nd Monday of August, October, January, March and May at 7:00pm at TSD. We need eight people for a quorum.
Greg Congleton is responsible for the following:
“Public” list serve, list serve for the board.
Rick Alexander is responsible for the website: ihpna.net
Please look at the committee list and let Nancy know which one you would like to join. Board members should serve on at least one committee.
Bill Hahnemann and Joe Hultquist are heading up this committee. Bill reported the results of all the monitoring show that Vulcan is well below the standards of State laws. Vulcan wants to be good neighbors. They will continue to monitor the effect of the blasts on Island Home Park by placing 5 seismographs around the neighborhood. They also plan to meet quarterly with the committee
Fisher Place Column Project
We were awarded the City of Knoxville Neighborhood grant to develop the entrance on Fisher Place.
We have $1400 left over from our Maplewood entrance project we can use.
We will have to raise $14,000.00 in cash or work hours.
We will need to get an easement from the church before we can proceed.
The other side is land belonging to Joe Hultquist.
Joe is leading the way on the foundations and the stone for the pillars. He will talk with Eddie Pruitt, who rebuilt the pillar at the other entrance, for cost and to see if he will give us a bid on doing the work.
How can we get donations? So far, the information has been in the newsletter and on the kiosk. It was also suggested to have a special donation flyer to distribute or put ribbons around the current pillars and move the ribbons up as we get closer to our goal. We still need to collect $3000.00.
We will have a Holiday edition of the newsletter to be distributed the weekend of November 3rd/4th.
The IHPNA Halloween party will be held on Saturday, October 28th from 4:00pm – 6:00pm at the Williams’ back yard. The Scott’s and the Teglas’s are also hosting.
Alive at Five at 4:00pm will be in IHPNA on Halloween on the boulevard.
A motion was made to hire a police officer ($120.00) to help with crowd control.
There will be a workday at the entrance on Saturday, October 14th.
Short Term Rentals is a hot topic for the MPC as they try to develop an ordinance for the City of Knoxville. They will hold workshops and send the input back to the MPC for discussion and review.
There will be a candidate forum on Wednesday, October 11th for all districts.
There will be a rezoning meeting on October 17th at 6pm at Dogwood School to discuss the rezoning of the school district for South Knoxville Elementary.
Amber Roundtree, who lives right outside Island Home Park, has expressed concerned that the boulevard needs to be designated as a school zone due to TSD. Nancy explained to her that the TSD students do not walk to school and probably would not be effective to slowing traffic.
Traffic Calming – The City of Knoxville has a traffic-calming program but Nancy explained there are many requirements before a study can even begin. We would need to look at the requirements and decide if it is something worth doing.
Re-Coding Knoxville – Amy Brooks works with this program. They will present the draft of the new codes to the MPC. Once those are released, it may be time for IHPNA to revisit the idea of a historic overlay.
Christmas Tree – Connie Vogt mentioned our tree is looking “sickly”. Kasey Kraus will be contact and see what he can do to help it.
Peter and Patrick will put the lights on the tree on November 21st – the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. We will decorate it on Sunday, November 26th and the lighting will be on Tuesday, November 28th.
The IHPNA Christmas Parties will be held on December 9th.
Meeting adjourned: 8:20pm (Wiginton/Scott)
Island Home Park Neighborhood Association
Board Meeting August 14, 2017
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Joe Hultquist, Bill Hahnemann, Krista Wiegand, Jessica Rodocker, Connie Vogt, Amy Brooks
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM
Minutes: The July minutes were presented and approved. (Staub, Williams)
Treasurer’s Report: Mary Wiginton presented the report. Balance as of 7/17 statement was $9828.81. Report approved. (Williams, Rodocker)
Election: Will be held at annual meeting 9/28/17. Slate presented by the nominating committee. The slate will be discussed in the next newsletter. By-laws allow for absentee voting. Normalee Neubauer will be the contact for absentee ballots.
Communications: The web site is up to date. The next newsletter will be in September.
Fisher Place Columns: Board approved motion to begin the column project and accept donations for the construction. (Rodocker, Staub) Will use the portion of the $3000 city grant that was not spent on the Maplewood entrance beautification. The wall could not be built. The Neighborhood Office has extended the grant end from June to October. A new grant application has been submitted for an additional $2900 ($3000-$100 Community Design Center fee for acting as our fiscal agent). Want to continue to raise funds from individuals and from businesses. There is an opportunity to receive money from Vulcan Materials community funds. Suggestion that we utilize GoFundMe or similar on-line site. Also, the newsletter should say that we will accept donations at the September meeting. Current plan does not include lights for the columns; however, David Brace suggested that the internal conduit should be run so that lights could be added in the future. Joe Hultquist is talking to Island Home Baptist about locating one column on their property. He reports they seem amenable to doing so. Need to find someone to do the legal work –easements. Joe will take the lead on the foundations for the columns. One third of the grant matching ($1000) must be in volunteer hours @ $15/hour or going rate for professional hours. May need to build the foundations using volunteers in order to accrue matching labor hours.
Annual Meeting: To be held 9/28/17 in the Island Home Baptist Church fellowship hall. Potluck. Dr. Ward (TSD) plans to come. City council candidates (will be 2 finalists) invited to speak for 5 minutes max. Nancy will invite the Ijams director to speak as the program.
AIA: has prepared a new walking tour of the neighborhood.
Kiosks: Wayne Williams built kiosks for neighborhood organization information. Lately has been a lot of outside information. Need to establish rules for its use. In the past there were usage rules posted on the kiosk. Proposed and approved to circulate the proposed rules by e-mail for comment and approval. (Hultquist, Vogt)
Short-Term Rentals: The board sent a letter supporting regulation of short-term rentals.
Vulcan Committee Report: co-chairs Bill Hahnemann and Joe Hultquist. Committee got started in 11/16. Met with Vulcan community relations and created a working relationship. Looking for 1) who oversees Vulcan’s operations and 2) what regulations govern those operations. Regulations prescribe two limitations: how hard and fast they can shake the ground and how strong an air blast may be created. Committee has requested blasting data to ensure they are within the allowable limits. Now have 2 additional seismographs in the neighbor hood for a total of 5. Costs Vulcan $2000/month extra. Committee and Vulcan are having quarterly meetings.
Notes: Jessica will forward a link for school rezoning information. Tear-downs are not prohibited under historical overlay zoning. Would be a good idea to have a zoning speaker such as Kay Graybeal.
Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, March 13, 2017
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Nathan Hunter, Mike Martin, Joe Hultquist and Amy Brooks.
Unable to Attend: Brian Douglas, Bob Dziewulski, Marsha Hinde, Joanna Pennoyer, Jessica Rodocker and John Michael Scott
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.
Jeanne presented the January minutes. Approved as corrected. (Hunter/Hultquist)
Mary Wiginton presented the report. $8365.76 including 1st Neighborhood Grant Approved. (Williams/Hunter)
So far we have 104 households as members exceeding last year.
198 households in Island Home Park. 30 are rentals (4 have joined). 7 are in flux
Ben and Theresa Walker were the winners of the Stanley’s $30 Gift Card in the membership drawing.
Collected $1405 in dues and $1025 in contributions.
We need to budget for Police Officer at Halloween.
We have $65.00 in Outreach money. The board needs to be aware of needs and use this money to help out a neighbor in need.
Mary will email the revised budget for a vote.\
These lists are listed on the website.
Katie Graham doesn’t want to do the July 4th event any more so we are looking for a/several volunteers.
Joe is trying to set up a meeting with the committee and Vulcan. He is hoping to have the Vice President of Vulcan there as well as representatives from Sauls – the company who monitors the blasts.
Currently the state does have thresholds but relies on Sauls for the data. Vulcan says they are trying to minimize the impact on our neighborhood.
We need to share information on how to monitor the impact. Joe said time dated photos are a necessity.
Lisa Stanley planted the flowers.
Nathan has the plan for the wall.
No official workday scheduled – people willing to work are welcome to come down and work. Carolyn will send out an email asking for volunteers to do work. Check with Wayne for what needs to be done.
Joe will contact the County to see if the work crew can come to some more work. David Brace had told us previously that he could provide the money for lunch.
Nathan reported we will need to get a contractor to purchase the materials for the wall and oversee the setup of the structure. Mike will make some calls to find a contractor willing to help. We have $2450.00 for the project. Nick Pavlis will give us $500.00 towards the project. Nathan will make a list of the materials needed.
Saturday, March 25th – Clean Up Day for Keep Knoxville Beautiful. Information on the kiosk.
April 1st – Dogwood Trails open.
Monday, March 27th – General Meeting/Pot Luck at the Church. 6:00pm
Molly Gilbert from the Pink Marble Program will speak to us. Visit the Tennessee Pink website for more information. Nancy will put up posters.
Brian Douglas has to resign from the board as he no longer has the time to give.
We need to look for a replacement.
Neighborhood Conference – Nancy, Amy and Joe attended
Our next board meeting is May 8th at 6:00pm at TSD.
Meeting adjourned: 8:15pm (Hunter/Wiginton)
We hope that you enjoy the time spent exploring the Island Home Park Neighborhood and learning about the IHPNA. You will discover quickly what the residents of Island Home Park have known since it was established. It is truly a special place to call home.
The Island Home Park Neighborhood Association (IHPNA) is an organization of all residents within our neighborhood boundaries. The IHPNA Board and Officers were elected to represent residents' issues and concerns.