Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, October 9, 2017
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Angie Bataille, Cat Dziewulski, Casey Field, Bill Hahnemann, John Michael Scott, Connie Vogt, Margaret Webb.
Unable to Attend: Steven Horton, Joe Hultquist, Michael Jordan, Joanna Pennoyer, Jim Staub.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:04pm.
The August minutes were not available for approval.
Mary Wiginton presented the report. We have $9777.51 in the bank but have $2050.00 in outstanding checks and $5780.00 of checks not cleared.
A copy of the budget and transactions as well as the IHPNA Entrance & Column Project was distributed.
Responsibilities of Board Members
We need to follow the by-laws. These are available to read on our website.
Help in submitting articles and distributing the newsletter.
Help keep the kiosk updated.
Attend the board meetings on the 2nd Monday of August, October, January, March and May at 7:00pm at TSD. We need eight people for a quorum.
Greg Congleton is responsible for the following:
“Public” list serve, list serve for the board.
Rick Alexander is responsible for the website: ihpna.net
Please look at the committee list and let Nancy know which one you would like to join. Board members should serve on at least one committee.
Bill Hahnemann and Joe Hultquist are heading up this committee. Bill reported the results of all the monitoring show that Vulcan is well below the standards of State laws. Vulcan wants to be good neighbors. They will continue to monitor the effect of the blasts on Island Home Park by placing 5 seismographs around the neighborhood. They also plan to meet quarterly with the committee
Fisher Place Column Project
We were awarded the City of Knoxville Neighborhood grant to develop the entrance on Fisher Place.
We have $1400 left over from our Maplewood entrance project we can use.
We will have to raise $14,000.00 in cash or work hours.
We will need to get an easement from the church before we can proceed.
The other side is land belonging to Joe Hultquist.
Joe is leading the way on the foundations and the stone for the pillars. He will talk with Eddie Pruitt, who rebuilt the pillar at the other entrance, for cost and to see if he will give us a bid on doing the work.
How can we get donations? So far, the information has been in the newsletter and on the kiosk. It was also suggested to have a special donation flyer to distribute or put ribbons around the current pillars and move the ribbons up as we get closer to our goal. We still need to collect $3000.00.
We will have a Holiday edition of the newsletter to be distributed the weekend of November 3rd/4th.
The IHPNA Halloween party will be held on Saturday, October 28th from 4:00pm – 6:00pm at the Williams’ back yard. The Scott’s and the Teglas’s are also hosting.
Alive at Five at 4:00pm will be in IHPNA on Halloween on the boulevard.
A motion was made to hire a police officer ($120.00) to help with crowd control.
There will be a workday at the entrance on Saturday, October 14th.
Short Term Rentals is a hot topic for the MPC as they try to develop an ordinance for the City of Knoxville. They will hold workshops and send the input back to the MPC for discussion and review.
There will be a candidate forum on Wednesday, October 11th for all districts.
There will be a rezoning meeting on October 17th at 6pm at Dogwood School to discuss the rezoning of the school district for South Knoxville Elementary.
Amber Roundtree, who lives right outside Island Home Park, has expressed concerned that the boulevard needs to be designated as a school zone due to TSD. Nancy explained to her that the TSD students do not walk to school and probably would not be effective to slowing traffic.
Traffic Calming – The City of Knoxville has a traffic-calming program but Nancy explained there are many requirements before a study can even begin. We would need to look at the requirements and decide if it is something worth doing.
Re-Coding Knoxville – Amy Brooks works with this program. They will present the draft of the new codes to the MPC. Once those are released, it may be time for IHPNA to revisit the idea of a historic overlay.
Christmas Tree – Connie Vogt mentioned our tree is looking “sickly”. Kasey Kraus will be contact and see what he can do to help it.
Peter and Patrick will put the lights on the tree on November 21st – the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. We will decorate it on Sunday, November 26th and the lighting will be on Tuesday, November 28th.
The IHPNA Christmas Parties will be held on December 9th.
Meeting adjourned: 8:20pm (Wiginton/Scott)