Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, October 14, 2019
Akin Gym Health Room – Tennessee School for the Deaf
Present: Steven Horton, Rachel Leach, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Nancy Campbell, Clare Borsari, Casey Field, Bill Hahnemann, Lisa Horn, Michael Jordan, Joni Morabito, Connie Vogt, Margaret Webb
Unable to Attend: Brooke Bock, Cat Dziewulski, Matt Park, Stephanie Welch.
President Steven Horton called the meeting to order at 6:35pm. Steven welcomed everyone to his first meeting and asked all board members to complete the information paper.
August Minutes – Jeanne Fair
Corrections were made to the August minutes.
Treasurers’ Report – Mary Wiginton
Mary reported we have $10,131.60 in the bank that is available to use.
Outstanding checks: $726.95.
We have been very fortunate this year as many people paid additional dues to help with special events.
Mary explained the budget and all the special accounts. Please look the budget and be prepared to discuss it at the January meeting.
Marble Storage – At our August meeting, Nancy talked about what to do with the extra marble. It has been decided to save it “in case” we need to make any repairs to the pillars. We currently have 2 ½ pallets on Joe Hultquist’s extra lot on the corner of Fisher Place and Island Home Pike. The lot is currently on the market to be sold. When the lot is sold, we have two other places we can store the marble.
SKNBA – South Knoxville Neighborhood and Business Coalition
This is a local group made up of all the South Knoxville neighborhoods – 2 representatives from each neighborhood. The group meets once a month on the last Tuesday of the month. The meetings are held at Hillcrest Methodist Church-1615 Price Avenue at 6:30pm. We currently have two representatives – Steven Horton and Joe Hultquist.
Halloween – Steven Horton
Steven will contact the Police Department about hiring a Police Officer for our neighborhood on Halloween, which is Thursday, October 31st. The cost is $160.00 and well worth it.
Jessica and John Michael Scott and Julie and Matt Teglas will once again be the hosts of the neighborhood Halloween Party. It will be held in the back yards of the Scott’s and Williams’ houses on Maplewood Drive. The Party will be held on Saturday, October 26th from 3pm – 5pm. There will be games, snacks and lot of fun activities. Children should come in their costumes.
Christmas Wreaths – Margaret Webb
Margaret has been taking care of making and hanging the Christmas Wreaths on the pillars for the past few years. Now that we have 4 pillars, additional wreaths will be needed. Margaret will buy the wreaths at Stanley’s Greenhouse so we can support a South Knoxville Small Business as well as a neighbor. At our General Meeting in September, Margaret took donations for the wreaths. Donations can be made “In Memory” or “In Honor of” someone. We currently have $358.00 in the wreath fund.
All the donations will be recognized on a flyer or an insert in the next newsletter. The flyer/insert will be on colored stock paper so it will look nice and special. Margaret will compile the list and get it to Nancy to be printed. The deadline for donating will be Saturday, November 9th.
Margaret will send an email to Steven explaining about the wreaths and the plan to compile and publish the list of donors. Steven will send it out on the IHPNA listserv so people will be aware they can make a donation.
Any extra money will remain in the wreath fund.
Lighting of the New Pillars – Steven Horton
Steven wanted to open the conversation about adding lights to the new pillars since they look “unfinished” as compared to the original pillars.
Bill Hahnemann said he and Nancy had looked at lighting the pillars, but the cost of the lanterns would be several thousand dollars. They had also looked at solar, but the panel would have to be big to generate the electricity needed. They had met with Southern Lighting at length about the lights and the plan to get electricity for the pillars. This will be a huge undertaking.
Steven agreed but said he wanted to open the conversation and although it may not be something that happens this year, we may want to consider it in two years.
Committees – Steven Horton
Steven did not have the list of committees but wanted the board members to look at our website and become familiar with the committees that are currently active. Please look at the committees and be prepared to discuss them at the January meeting. A board member will need to be a member of each committee.
Steven will have a sign-up sheet at the January meeting.
Neighborhood Network Systems: Website, Email – Steven Horton
Mike Rodocker has agreed to become our new webmaster since Rick Alexander stepped down. Jessica and Mike are very interested and committed to helping us launch a new website which is updated, user friendly and has many options for various uses.
Bill Hahnemann mentioned there are so many options available that we would need to take time to explore these options to see what best fits the needs of IHPNA. When starting something new or changing things, there will be some pushback, so we need to approach the change by keeping everyone informed. We currently do not have a policy about our website concerning how it can be used. We may want to consider making a policy.
It was mentioned that many of our neighbors are not online and we need to be aware that paper newsletters and communication still needs to be an option.
A motion was made to explore all the options and those options presented to the board later. Passed (Borsari/Horn). Clare Borsari is interested in helping with this and Matthew Park’s name was mentioned as someone who may be interested.
Newsletter – Nancy Campbell
Nancy explained how the newsletter had been done in the past. Nancy would compile all the information and then give it to Joanna Pennoyer on a flash drive. Joanna would format it and send it to Graphic Creations to be printed. Nancy would divide the newsletters and get them ready for the board members to pick-up and distribute to their area. Nancy is willing to continue her role coordinating the newsletter.
Rachel Leach volunteered to help “chase down” the stories for Nancy. Stories should be to Nancy by November 10th. The next newsletter will have: Presidents’ Message, Halloween story, General Meeting story, Porch Hops story, Dates for the Christmas Activities-tree decorating, caroling and the Christmas Open House as well as the list of the new officers and board members.
It was suggested adding a kid’s comic strip or even a kid’s corner for the newsletter. It may not be possible for the next newsletter.
Speeding on Spence Place by people going to the airport. The Airport Authority will be notified so they can remind their pilots that Spence Place is a neighborhood street.
How to get the group email – Greg Congleton adds names to the listserv. Send Greg an email to be added.
Next Meeting: Monday, January 13, 2020 at Akin Gym at 6:30pm.
Other Board Meeting Dates: March 9, May 11, August 10.
Meeting adjourned: 8:12pm