Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Amy Brooks, Bob Dziewulski, Nathan Hunter, Joe Hultquist.
Unable to attend: Brian Douglas, Marsha Hinde, Mike Martin, Joanna Pennoyer, Jessica Rodocker, John Michael Scott, Krista Wiegand.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:03pm.
May Minutes: The minutes from the May meeting were approved with a few minor changes. (NH/JS))
Treasurers’ Report – Mary Wiginton Approved (CW/NH)
We currently have $5664.73 in the bank.
Mary gave out a copy of the budget for this year. We will add Porch Hops to the line items. Beautification projects will be moved to the grant money.
The treasurers’ report will now include the location of any items owned by IHPNA.
Neighborhood Small Grant – Carolyn Williams
Carolyn gave an update on the progress of the grant. Many hours of work have been completed doing pressure washing and brush clearing. We only have 8 hours of work left to document. Debbie Sharp from the Office of Neighborhoods, met with Carolyn and Nancy. She plans to come check the area at a later date.
Several board members met with David Brace about the entrance. David said the trees will be donated by the city and they will plant them – a great help to us because it will be done correctly. They also plan to cut of about 2-5’ off the end of the Trolley Island to allow more room for a turn-around and to insure the newly refurbished Island will not be damaged but they have to work around the catch basin located near the Island. The new wall will be made from river rock. The city will also paint the handrails above Baker Creek that we have already pressure washed.
Any money left and any other grant money we receive will go toward the building of two new entrance columns at the Fisher entrance to Island Home Park.
Airport – Nancy Campbell
Nancy reported that Sherry Self met with Wayne, Carolyn and Nancy about the construction trucks going to the airport that are speeding through Island Home Park. Sherry assured them this will NOT happen again and she will handle it. If you have any problems with airport construction vehicles, please let Nancy or Carolyn know time and date and they will report it.
Thefts – Nancy Campbell
Nancy reported that on 4 different occasions, Garden Art has been taken from neighbors’ yards during the last 2 weeks of July. There has also been a Japanese maple tree taken as well as stepping stones. These are probably taken by unscrupulous landscapers or people taking them to flea markets. We have also had 1 car window broken. Please LOCK YOUR CARS and report any act of theft, no matter how small it may be, to the police so they can see if there is a pattern.
4th and Gill had the same problems before the police set up a more intense surveillance program.
Calendar of Events
General Meeting will be on September 26th at 6pm at the church. It will be a potluck supper. Possible speakers are Lori Goerlich to talk about Greenways or Chrissy Hassell from Ijams.
Musical Concert at the Brown/Birdwell House is Saturday, September 17th from 6:30pm – 9:00pm. They have a noise permit for that time. This is a waste free event so bring your chair, drink and a snack. Amy will help advertise it via the kiosk, newsletter and the list serve.
Porch Hop is Friday, October 7th.
Board Meeting is Monday, October 10th at 7pm.
Halloween Party is October 22nd or 29th. Watch the kiosk for details.
SKNBC Welcome Bags – Nancy Campbell
We have some very nice welcome bags for our new neighbors. Nancy will update the information in them and the executive board members will be responsible to deliver them.
The directories will be ready for distribution at the September Potluck Meeting! Megan Martin got the file and will work on it.
Jessica Rodocker’s Real Estate Company made a $500.00 donation to IHPNA. She would like part of that money to go towards the development of an updated logo for the neighborhood. She will work with Rick Alexander and Megan Martin on ideas.
Vulcan Committee – Joe Hultquist
Joe has tried to keep people notified about all the blasting although at times it is difficult when last minute time changes are made. The committee sent out a survey trying to document problems caused to homes in IHP due to the blasting, but they did not receive much information. Please let Joe know of any problems you can attribute to the blasting. The committee plans to meet at Vulcan on site during a blast to watch the process. Joe reported that Joe Brown, City Council member who represents neighborhoods on the other side of the river, is interested in the problems and wants to be involved.
Nancy requested that Joe Hultquist be added to the Board of Governors for IHPNA. This can happen by a vote of the current board. Motion approved (CW/MW)
Joe Hultquist informed Nancy Campbell about the Dow Grants that are awarded to community organizations and it seems IHPNA was a perfect match. We would use the money, if awarded, to build pillars at the Fisher Place entrance. The grant is for $25,000. You can see information on their website. The difficult part has been finding a 501C non-profit to support us because the grant requires an organization that can be audited. The Design Center of Knoxville is considering helping us. If all goes well, the grant can be submitted on time. Many thanks to Nancy, who has done all the work on writing the grant and to Joe for finding and pursuing ways to make it happen.
There will be a meeting about the Greenways on Thursday at 5:30pm at the O’Conner Center to talk about their latest plans for the greenway system.
Meeting adjourned at 8:28pm. (NH/MW)