Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Amy Brooks, Brian Douglas, Robert Dziewulski, Nathan Hunter, Jessica Rodocker, John Michael Scott, Bill Hahnemann, Joe Hultquist.
Unable to attend: Marsha Hinde, Mike Martin, Joanna Pennoyer, Krista Wiegand
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.
Minutes from October meeting: Some minor changes were made to the minutes. Jeanne will submit these to Rick Alexander to post on the website.
Treasurers’ Report: Mary Wiginton gave us an update on the budget. We currently have 3622.98 in the bank but $ 2316.32 is for the 2 Century Grant and the Bicentenial Grant. This money needs to be spent in something related to those grants.
A discussion was held about how much to give as a memorial to deceased members of IHPNA. In the past few years, it has been very inconsistent with amounts as much as $75.00 for one person. With our current dues structure, we cannot continue to do this. Carolyn reminded the board in the years she was president, we gave $100.00 at the end of the year naming all the deceased residents of Island Home Park. It was decided we will go back to this method.
Mary talked about the annual budget. Our fiscal year is January – December – a change made last year. We were actually in the hole for 2015, but we do have money in the bank. Several things were discussed: July 4th picnic which costs us $450.00. It seems that is high for a picnic. In the past, we got money from the Knoxville Track Club for Best Neighborhood on the marathon-we don’t anticipate winning that any more. This could be an area to scale back on. The newsletter is now donated so that is not an expense at this time.
Dues are currently $15.00/household or $10.00/Seniors. We really need an all-out effort to collect dues to support our budgeted items. Bob Dziewulski checked into Pay Pal which would include a fee of less than 2%. There was some discussion about this and we will continue to think about online ways to pay dues. It seems one of the best ways to collect dues is face to face with people in your district. By going door to door, you can make a connection to people in your district and they can get to know the board members. We need to help with this effort and be visible.
The executive board will meet and work on a budget to be submitted at the next board meeting.
Membership Campaign for 2016 – A committee has been formed to come up with a membership campaign plan. This committee includes Connie Vogt, Normalee Neubauer, Jessica Rodocker, Bob Dziewulski and maybe Sue Wrisberg. These people will be the anchor group but all the board members need to be involved.
Website – Rick Alexander and Kurt Zinser met to discuss the website and now Rick has access to make changes. The website is not current and needs to be updated if we are going to have one. Please be patient while the updates occur and send all new information to Rick. Kurt will be putting the website on his server so we won’t be paying for one.
Newsletter – The next newsletter will be published the first of February. Nancy will do a President’s letter, SKNBC and Knoxville Soup; Jeanne will get an article from TSD about the volunteer day; Margaret Webb on the Garden Club; Joe Hultquist on Vulcan; Bob Dziewulski on the new Brewery and Coffee Shop; Skip Scalf on a Historical fact; Connie Vogt on the Membership Drive and a list of the committees we have so far. We have 2 deaths – Warren Maclin and Judy Cummins. (Mildred Hiscock has also died since our meeting). We did not know of any births or special news. The website address needs to be changed in the newsletter to ihpna.org.
Porch Hops – Jessica has agreed to coordinate this again. The first one is tentatively set for April 29th at the Williams’ house.
SKNBC – We need another representative for this organization. We can have two. They meet once a month. The purpose is to keep communities involved with each other and to let people know what’s happening in South Knoxville. They also keep a close watch on what is happening in City Government that may affect South Knoxville. We will continue to be a part of this organization.
Knox County Emergency Management Agency – KCEMA – Joe mentioned this is an emphasis for the city and the county. Debbie Malone has agreed to serve on this committee. We need other people on the committee. David Massey will have a meeting of all volunteers for neighborhood emergency contacts.
Committees and Volunteer Positions
Nancy handed out a copy of the Committees and current vacancies. Several of those spots were filled by board members. A list of the committees and available spots will be put in the newsletter so neighbors can see who is on a committee and hopefully sign up to join so we can have all the spots filled.
Amy Brooks asked about using Next Door as a means to communicate instead of the current group we are using. A new Google group is another option. Amy will send out invitations to join Next Door so the board can see if we like using it.
Vulcan Quarry Blasting Joe Hultquist and Bill Hahnemann met with two people from Vulcan. One was the site manager Brandon Bounes and Carl Vanhover. Joe reported that Vulcan seemed to want to work with us and they do understand our issues. The ground movement and blast pressure may be due to the way they blast and now they are blasting the face of the pit towards IHP. There will be one more blast in mid-January. They have also changed blasting companies and are using electronic detonation.
Vulcan and Sauls Company will monitor the effects of the blast. They are willing to put 3 or more seismometers around Island Home Park to measure the blasts so there will be measureable data. This testing will be of benefit to Vulcan as well as Island Home Park. Bill will have 1 instrument in his yard on Spence Place.
The committee will meet and then meet again with Vulcan to try and work out a plan. They have been invited to go over to the quarry and observe the blasting.
Councilman Brown has been in touch with Vulcan concerning this issue as it will be affecting his district when the blasting site changes.
Park Improvements Update
Nathan reported that it seems Lori Goerlich from the city wants to make the path in our park a part of the Greenway thus the wide nature of the trail. We need to be clear we want a pedestrian walkway and NOT a multi-use trail. Joe suggested a Resolution be sent from IHPNA to Joe Walsh. At this point in time, the communication needs to be between the neighborhood association and Lori and not Nathan. Jessica moved/Carolyn seconded: we need to send a letter to Joe Walsh asking that Island Home Park be consulted before the city moves ahead with anything. We would like a plan that works for the residents of IHP. Passed.
Tennessee School for the Deaf
Nancy has been receiving emails from Greg Steck from the State of Tennessee General Services. He is the new liaison between the State and Island Home Park. There is still a lot of concern from neighbors about the traffic pattern for all the trucks coming to the construction project which is slated to last at least 2 years. The state submitted a plan: Spence Place, right on Willis and left into the school. IHP residents do not want the trucks in the neighborhood. “This is a TSD project and the inconvenience should be at the school not the neighborhood” said one neighbor.
The consensus from Island Home Park seems to be Island Home Pike to a temporary gate at the top of campus. A meeting will be set up with Senator Becky Duncan Massey to discuss our concerns and see if she can help in any way. The meeting will be held at Ijams. Joe will call her and get the meeting set up.
Island Home Avenue Closure Update
There are still problems with the construction area. Large trucks are still using Hillwood even though the No Truck signs (which have always been there) are still posted. Carolyn talked with David McGinley and he said all the detour signs are down. At this point, that is not exactly correct. The new 3 way stop at the entrance/exit to Island Home Park is up but no word on if it is permanent or temporary. Carolyn likes it since it slows down the cars in front of her house. Jeanne report some passive/aggressive behavior by the workers – parking their trucks in the road and expecting cars to go around it with any flagman. Will there be any more closures? No one is for sure at this point.
Requests from Neighbors/Board Members
Hillwood – Nathan Hunter requested that we write the Mayor and ask her to put improvements on Hillwood as a top priority. This is the time to ask since she is working on her budget. There was a lot of discussion on this topic. IF Hillwood is improved, will that just allow more development on Hillwood adding more traffic to the road? The original plan for Hillwood (Joe has the blueprints) was to move it to the intersection of Island Home Pike and South Haven. The road would go up the hill behind the Nursing Home. This plan could also encourage more development in this area. It was suggested we wait and see how these new apartments affect the traffic and see if the new road on the river helps
It was decided to save this for a neighborhood meeting so get all the stakeholders’ feedback instead of just the boards input.
Sidewalks near the pillars – The sidewalks near the pillars have been broken due to all the construction trucks parked on them. John Michael Scott asked the board to see what could be done do get them repaired. It was decided to send a letter to the City Engineer asking him to address the problem.
Small Grants – Nancy and Carolyn will attend a meeting on January 14th to learn about small grants that are available to neighborhoods. The grant would be used to help clean up the entrance at Baker Creek – power washing the walls; landscaping etc. They will report back to the board at our next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:00pm