Island Home Park Neighborhood Association Board Meeting
Monday, August 13, 2018
Akin Gym Health Room – Tennessee School for the Deaf
Present: Nancy Campbell, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Angie Bataille, Casey Fields, Bill Hahnemann, Steven Horton, Joe Hultquist, Michael Jordan, Connie Vogt, Margaret Webb
Unable to Attend: Cat Dziewulski, Joanna Pennoyer, John Michael Scott, Jim Staub, Carolyn Williams, Stephanie Welch-City Council.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:01pm.
March Minutes – Jeanne Fair
Corrections made to the May minutes. Approved (Hultquist/Vogt)
Treasurers’ Report – Mary Wiginton
Mary Wiginton presented the report. We have $27572.65 in the bank. This includes dues, donations, past grant funds, 1st Neighborhood gifts and 202 funds, grants and column donations. The majority of this money will go towards the new pillars. We have $9014.88 for our budget without the pillars, which is more than we have had in years.
The t-shirt sales have now made $680.00 for IHPNA. It was a very successful project.
A copy of the budget and transactions as well as the IHPNA Entrance & Column project was given to the board members.
Chapman Highway Implementation Plan Meeting
Jeanne reported on the meeting she attended on July 18, 2018 at Ijams Park about Chapman Highway. It was conducted by the MPC, City of Knoxville, TDOT and Kimley and Horn who have been hired to design the plan. The meeting was very informative and interactive. They said there will be no more studies – it is time for implementation. Maps of the area were placed around the room for attendees to write feedback on to indicate areas of concerns. Traffic reports on accidents on Chapman Highway were also give to attendees. At this time, TDOT has $45 million dollars for the project which sounds like a lot but it will actually take a lot more money to fully implement all the changes. They are looking at pedestrian traffic, bike lanes, cars and transit.
Urban Wilderness Gateway
Bill Hahnemann and Steven Horton attended this meeting. Phase #1 will include the terminus of the JWP where there will be a pavilion and parking. The Baker Creek Preserve entrance will be reconfigured. This should happen within the year. $10 million has been earmarked for the project.
Phase 2 includes the city acquiring the JWP Bridge to the terminus and change the 4 lane road to a 2 lane road. The other side will become parking, greenway and bike lines as well as a 2.5 linear park. This will also help the traffic flow to Ijams.
Nancy and Casey have been representing IHPNA but Casey needs to step down. We need a new representative to attend the meeting which are held once a month – the 3rd Tuesday at 6:30pm. At this time member Herman Weaver has been working on Welcome Bags for new neighbors which will have coupons and other information.
What’s Happening In Island Home Park and South Knoxville
July 4th – We had a great turn-out and many volunteers. Everyone had a wonderful time.
Thefts – We are having many thefts in the neighborhood – especially things left outside or from unlocked cars. We will consider buying a Neighborhood Watch Sign. The executive board will get information on the cost.
Christmas Tree – Bill Hahnemann and Wayne Williams did a beautiful job cleaning up around the Christmas Tree. Thanks for all your hard work on this project.
Directory – A new directory is being prepared – all the new entries are in. We hope to distribute it in September. We now have more than 130 members.
Recode Knoxville – There will be another meeting on September 10th to talk about the 2nd Phase. They have released the maps of the new zones and people should take the time to look at the new recommendations online.
Nancy would like to have our next General Meeting outside – something similar to a porch hop except have it in someone’s yard. IHPNA would provide the food and people would bring their own drinks. We would conduct business as needed. She felt this may attract more people to attend.
Fisher Place Columns Project
Bill and Joe announced that the site of the columns has been determined. They will need to contact the surveyor again to remark it and ask KUB to make the final EXACT location.
Motion was made to proceed with the project (Vogt/Bataille) – Passed
Trees in the Park – Sherry Self, from the Airport Authority, sent word that Cortese will check the tress and will meet with the city. There was discussion about the easement for the tree trimming.
Vulcan – Candy Archer asked the seismograph be moved from her yard. It will be moved to Brian Vogt’s yard on Spence Place.
October 8, 2018